Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Reverence Child

Today Zac was the reverence child in Sacrament Meeting. If you don't know what that is, it's where they have 2 kids come to church 5 minutes early and stand on the stand folding their arms. My Mom and I have been pumping him up for it all week because I was worried that when he got up there in front of all those people he wouldn't want to do it. Well he was so excited today and when we got to church he went right up to the stand, stood on his little stool and folded his arms. It was soooo cute. People would walk up to him and say hi or wave from the audience and he would just not or give a slight wave, but he wouldn't unfold his arms. He kept looking back at the Bishop (I guess he was wanting to be noticed). So here is the good part. The first counselor in our ward got up to announce Zac and thank him for being the reverence child. Then he told Zac he could go sit down, but he shook his head and said NO! I was sitting right in the front waving for him to come down, but he kept shaking his head and saying no. The Bishop tapped Zac and told him to go sit with us and again he said no. I was mortified at this point and walked up there to get him to come down, but he wouldn't and I didn't want to force him and make him freak out, so I left him up there. The whole audience was cracking up and finally during the opening song my mom went up and tried to bribe him with a car, which still didn't work. Then she told Zac that everyone needed to see the bishop and they couldn't see him if He stayed up there. I don't know why, but that's what did it. He finally came down. Needless to say Zac was pretty popular in church today because everyone was telling him how cute he was and how good he did. Anyway sorry for the novel, but I really want to remember this one. I was so proud of my little guy for being so good up there. I can't believe he is getting big enough to do stuff like that. I can't wait to see what he does when he has to give a talk or something.

3 comments:

Bairds said...

That's hilarious! Zack cracks me up.

Jill said...

Wow, that's a great story! Thanks for sharing. Zac sounds like a great kid, although, I would've been mortified if I were you too.

Mike and Jenny said...

That's so funny. We used to do reverent children in our ward too. Cute!